Mental models, frameworks for thinking, simplify complex concepts & processes so you can reason through them. However, it takes discipline to use them.
Without mental models:
1. You go where your momentum takes you.
2. You use your instincts, shaped by past experiences & advice.
Accomplished people share 3 traits:
1. Prefer to take action
2. Look to prove themselves wrong
3. Reassess priorities without fear of changing them
The World is a Patchwork of Systems
- Process - economic growth
- Business - Microsoft
- Tool - toothbrush
- State - happiness
A mental model of a system highlights the system's core components & how they work together.
How to Make Decisions
Half of the power of mental models is in optimizing systems; the other half is making better decisions.
1. Prioritizing: which path should you take first?
2. Allocating: how much attention, time & capital should you spend on this?
Models that help optimize systems include:
- Theory of Constraints
- First Principles
Mental models that help make decisions include:
- Regret Minimization
- Pareto's Principle
- Eisenhower Matrix
Elon Musk & Jeff Bezos
- Wisdom is the advantage one person has over another due to mental models.
- Cultivate the discipline to use mental models