Develop a culture that aims to motivate and empower people to make good decisions at speed, without having to ask for permission.
Create ownership by defining a vision with your team
- A clear team goal will help people understand how their work contributes to wider company objectives.
- An inspiring vision explains what your product or service aims to do for users.
- Both give people a reason to get up in the morning and feel proud of their work.
Create ownership with autonomous squads around independent levers
- Reduce complexity by breaking down goals into independent levers. It turns a vague goals into an equation.
- Improve focus by organizing people into squads that own one or more levers, to limit the number of things people need to worry about.
- A clear measure of success for each squad makes the goal tangible.
- Squad autonomy means people know that no one else will make decisions or do the work for them.
Create frameworks and processes, not roadmaps
- Set the expectation that product managers won't always make decisions for the squad.
- Product managers should generate ideas and be the voice of the customer.
- Bin the roadmap. Focus on processes, frameworks and questions instead.