The tactics Robert Caldini discusses in "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" apply to designing product experiences.
The 6 Weapons of Influence
- Social apps leverage likes and shares to get original posters to reciprocate.
- Commitment and Consistency
- Habit building apps get you to share your goals so that you'll follow through with them.
- Social Proof
- Social proof spurs user experience when you like something your friends have liked, or try something they tried.
- Businesses use attractive people or imagery to drive an experience.
- Products today establish themselves as leaders or experts.
- Perceived scarcity generates demand.
- Apps do this with time promotions and virtual goods.