Getting into product management can be a unique experience for many people. Here are insights based on what path you take.
Transitioning from engineering
- You might be biased towards your own vision of the architecture of the product, so be sure to remember you’re a product manager now, not the engineer.
- Include the engineering team in your discussions.
- A huge part of the product manager job is to understand customer needs. Make sure to engage with customers more often than you did as an engineer.
Transitioning from design
- Balance this function with both engineering and business.
- Heed the concerns of your engineers, and keep an eye on key performance indicators.
Transitioning from marketing
- Avoid falling into the trap of relying on your team rather than doing the job yourself.
- You are no longer a taskmaster- you also need to shape the product at a technical level.