Drift's CEO has transformed the company into a movement using a compelling strategic story with 5 parts:
Start with a big, undeniable change that creates stakes
- Your most formidable obstacle is prospects' adherence to the status quo
- Drift addresses change that is undeniably happening independently of Drift, which gives rise to high stakes
Name the enemy
- Naming your customer's enemy differentiates you in relation to the old world your competitors represent
- Drift invites you to join them in a revolution & fight a common foe
Tease the "Promised Land"
- The "Promised Land" should be both desirable & difficult for prospects to reach without you
- Drift plants a question in audiences' minds: "OK, so how do I win?"
Position capabilities as "magic" for slaying "monsters"
- Once audiences buy into your Promised Land, impress them with your capabilities & product
Present your best evidence
- Audiences will still be skeptical, so show evidence of your ability to deliver
- The best evidence is stories about people who say you helped them reach the Promised Land
The Rise of Story-Led Differentiation
- Product differentiation has become indefensible. Competitors can copy your features virtually instantly.
- The only thing they can't replicate is trust that customers feel for you & your team.
Drift's Story Works Because They Tell It Everywhere... & Commit To Making It Come True