The Dribbble community rewards superficial work
- Too many designers are designing to impress peers.
- Many produce superficial work to impress Dribbble: they look great but don't work well.
The most important product design work is usually ugliest
- The best job applicants for product design work send in thought processes, prototypes, or things that use real data.
- Product design is about solving problems within the constraints of a specific business, not digital art.
Focus on mission, vision & architecture
- Only after developing a clear mission, vision & product architecture, can you start thinking about other details.
There are 4 layers of design
Designers need to work from the top down.
1. Outcome: what will your design make easier or better for people?
2. Structure: what components are required to meet the intended outcome?
3. Interaction: what are the UI components?
4. Visual: how would the prototype look best?
Frame every design product in a job
- Focus on the triggering event or situation, motivation & goal, & intended outcome.