A tiny change in initial conditions can have an outsized effect on the outcome.
The things that change the world are the tiny things.
The Arrow of Time
- Time seems to move forward, to have a direction:
- The past is behind us and unchangeable;
- The future, is ahead of us and is fixed
- We can perhaps predict the future to some extent, but we have no firm evidence or proof of it.
- E.g., We can’t predict the weather more than a few weeks in advance
- The butterfly effect and chaos theory tells us we can't reverse the arrow of time
- Randomness is the only thing that cannot be undone.
Examples of the Butterfly Effect:
- Tiny changes in neurotransmitters can have a massive impact on cognition
- Hitler was rejected twice by art school, perhaps history would have been different if he had been accepted.
The Butterfly Effect Teaches Us To
- Acknowledge the chaotic nature of life
- Be mindful of our starting conditions
- Generate the best catalysts to achieve our goals
- Constantly adjust our forecast