The best designers are boring designers. They:
Choose obvious over clever every time.
- When given the choice between flash and function, choose function.
Rarely stand their ground.
- Try all the ideas and request lots of feedback.
- When they do feel passionately, the team respects it.
- Boring designers work for the team, and for the timeframe.
- Don't worry about putting their personal stamp on everything, and instead value consistency.
Lead their team.
- Boring designers lead their teams because they are reasonable.
- They're trusted because they have the user in mind.