Because Product Mangers own so few clear deliverables, it can be tricky to pinpoint what exact impact a PM had on a team. The result is that performance reviews can be hard to do well, consistently, across multiple managers. Instead, one can use career ladders to review Product Managers' impact
Purpose of Career Ladders
- They make it clear to folks on your team what’s expected of the role.
- They make it clear what’s expected of them to get a promotion
- They make it easier to do fair, consistent, well-weighted performance reviews.
An example of a PM Career Ladder
- Insights driven- a good PM needs to be close to customers and numbers
- Strategy- The product roadmap should be the translation of strategy into execution.
- Execution- how you execute has a huge impact on success.
- Driving outcomes- It’s critical that PMs are focused on impact and are prioritizing initiatives with this in mind.
- Leadership behaviors- important attributes for a PM to have are communication, collaboration, ownership and decisiveness.