Square’s Director of Product Communications and Marketing Khobi Brooklyn shares her tactics for marketing a product to extremely diverse audiences.
Define Your Audience
- Find and divvy up your core customers.
- Capitalize on what you know about the people around you.
- Break audiences into verticals and observe what happens.
- Testimonials are a powerful strategy when appealing to customers.
Meet the Press
- Help the reporter understand why it is going to be valuable for them to tell their audience.
- Meet customers where they live.
- Build relationships with the right reporters.
- Do not underestimate the power of the local approach.
Landing Amazing Customer Stories
- The stories of the success of sellers means success for Square, too.
- Be careful not to overshadow the stories of people with your product.
- Show how much you value your customers.
Cultivate New Audiences Further Afield
- Remember to focus more on communicating directly with even more stakeholders.
- Identify your different audiences.
- Tailor your message.
- Be on the lookout for new audience opportunities.
- Try to reach as many different audiences as possible with each announcement.
- Use metrics to monitor which campaigns were successful and where.
- Be deliberate about the content you produce and share.
How to Scale as Your Company Scales
- Grow with your customers.
- Look for new ways people are using your product.
- Continually test new ways to campaign.