Difficult decisions are not a one-man job. Make sure that everyone is kept in the loop when it comes to making tough choices and consult whenever you can, as much as you can.
Square uses the following framework to tackle decision-making:
- Setting. Setting involves three dimensions to consider in relation to your problem: What, when, & why.
- People. Define what people you plan on getting input from, who needs to approve, and designate a single person who is responsible for the issue. Hold all parties accountable.
- Alternatives. List your alternative choices and the potential consequences and benefits of each,
- Decision. Receive private feedback and then it’s time to either vote or make the decision on your own depending on circumstances.
- Explain. Organize a meeting to broadcast your decision. This is also a good time to define next steps and deliverables.