Tips for sifting through massive amounts of qualitative and quantitative data
Pursue goals, not numbers
- Focus narrowly and doggedly on your company’s top-line goals (everyone needs to know why they're doing what they’re doing)
- Regularly revise your goals
- Be consistent about sharing your priorities internally
Smarter hypotheses yield smarter insights
- Remain aware of the big picture, and know when to adjust your theory accordingly.
Know your biases to keep them in check
- Biases are unavoidable, so be explicit about how you’ll control the most common sources of bias (Selection Bias, Confirmation or observer bias, Reporting bias)
Combining qualitative and quantitative data
- Quantitative data can tell you if something is wrong, and qualitative can tell you why. Combine both data types to get a better understanding.
Gather the right data
- Getting actionable qualitative data is often a matter of going out and finding it.