Before getting into tech, James Buckhouse worked on animation at Dreamworks. His experience enabled him to apply story-driven design to products at Sequoia Creative Lab.
Effective Storytelling at Dreamworks
- Find a way to transform a character's state - e.g. If Shrek walks in happy, the scenes not over until he’s unhappy.
- Design a complement to condition - e.g. If Shrek was happy, Donkey would be unhappy.
The Meaning of Storytelling
- Stories motivate us.
- Storytelling is what you care about and why it is important.
What Film Can Teach Us About Design
- It starts with mapping the personas of each character - e.g. In Doordash, the characters are the diners, the drivers, and the restaurant owners, which each have their own story.
How Can Designers Improve Their Storytelling?
- Collaborate with product engineers.
- Draw out the plan with other team members.
- Use a story map - a diagram that displays interconnected characters in an event.
Goals of Sequoia Creative Lab
- Teach designers with high potential by allowing them to work on projects within the portfolio.
- There are no teachers or students. Everybody is a learner.