In the tech world, there are three distinct types of “product teams": delivery teams, empowered product teams, and feature teams.
- Delivery Teams: contain developers and a product owner. The product owner does administrative work, and the team is responsible for delivering output.
- Empowered Product Teams: solves problems in ways that customers love.
- Feature Teams: all about output; features/projects provided to the team as a roadmap. The team focus is design and testing.
PMs of Product Teams vs. Feature Teams
- Empowered Product Teams: product manager ensures value and viability, and must have deep knowledge of the customer, the data, the industry, and your business.
- Feature Teams: the value is the stakeholder’s/executive’s responsibility, and knowledge is dispersed among stakeholders.
Consequences of Feature Team not being empowered
- It's hard to attract and retain true product designers, and many feature team PMs haven’t worked with professional product designers.
- The product manager role is mainly project manager, and partly (unskilled) designer.