Product organizations are a small proportion of a technology firm's R&D teams; therefore, they tend not to focus on developing the same formalized career ladders.
Most Common Dimensions of Advancement
- Associate PMs & PMs are expected to operate with some independence & regular check-ins with their manager. Senior PMs & beyond should be without supervision.
- Seek out experiences that help you gain a breadth of experience across the product lifecycle.
- Product Scope
- This covers both the overall amount of product functionality that you drive as well as the complexity of product offerings you are responsible for.
- Focus on exhibiting mastery of given product area. Then work on increasing your scope.
- This involves exhibiting mastery of the core dimensions of product leadership within your feature team.
- Most careers in PM branch into 2 paths: individual contributor or people manager.