A pre-mortem is where you imagine that you've failed before you've even started, and work backward to determine why.
Pre-mortems manage overconfidence
- Prone to overconfidence at the beginning of a project
- Pre-mortem brings future consequences into the conversation
- Fosters communication about failure
Performing a pre-mortem
- Review the brief - discuss the plan and members' roles.
- Set the scene - the project has failed.
- Brainstorm - uncover every possible reason.
- Discuss and improve the plan to avoid failure.