Peacetime is when a company has a competitive advantage and is growing. Wartime is when a company is facing an existential threat.
- Can think long term
- Think about companies to buy
- Doesn't worry about the competition
- Focuses on small details
- Improves vanity metrics
- Allows experimentation with ideas
- Builds for niche users
- Focuses on the next 6 months
- Worry about competition stealing marketshare
- Makes fast decisions
- Picks their battles
- Builds for the majority and for top level users
- Meets minimum acceptable quality
Unless everything is going really well, you're at war.