Retention is something all managers have to deal with. However, understanding the long-term career goals of your team can allow you to anticipate changes to your team and perhaps even keep your star performers.
Facilitate discussion about goals and long term plans
- Schedule repeated one-on-one discussions to talk about team members ultimate goals.
- Ask questions that help them determine what aspects of the job they like to do and what skill they want to develop
- Figure out ways for team members to take on more/different responsibilities that align with their goals and the skills they want to hone.
Ultimately it is up to the team member to have the drive and skills to balance additional responsibilities.
- Be open with them about your expectations and reactions.
- Be open to transfers within your company to different teams, and celebrate when your team members achieve their personal goals.