Startups succeed when the founders are focused on finding the truest answer to the most important problems. When disagreements occur, it is critical that entrepreneurs embrace these conflicts because solving them properly is often the difference between success and failure. It’s in the conflict that the right answers emerge so you have to lean into the conflict to win.
Conflict Failure Modes
- Avoiding the Conflict
- Strong Personalities vs. Wall Flowers
- Softening the Edges
- Revert to Mean
How to Embrace Conflict
- Reframe Conflict as the Search for Truth
- Call out Objectivity and Subjectivity
- Be Hard on Problems, Not People
- Debate, Don’t Fight
- Gauge the Magnitude of Beliefs
- Consider Hierarchy & Roles
At Some Point, The Debate Must End
- When a decision is made, everyone must put aside their differences and put their full efforts in pursuing the direction the company has made.