When hiring engineers, it is important to understand what truly inspires them. This is their superpower in an engineering sense.
- This is someone driven by solving big, challenging problems.
- They have a singular focus and incredible stamina
- To best manage this person, emphasize on the mission not metrics
- This is someone driven by speed and exposure
- Practices incredible speed to share work
- To best manage them, let them lead the charge and quickly test code
- This person is driven by responsiveness
- They have a singular focus and have incredible intellect
- It is important to let these people process and prioritize through structure
- They are driven by tactic communication
- They continually draw attention back to the user and to the purpose of the software’s purpose
- To best manage these people, pair them with the product team and value their opinion.
This is a way to recognize the unique faculty of the engineers at hand and in doing so, you are able to create the optimal environment for them to flex their powers.