Timeboxing helps people manage their time better and maximize their productivity.
What is Timeboxing
- Timeboxing is the concept of giving yourself a certain amount of time for a certain task.
How to Use Timeboxing
- Parkinson’s Law: Time expands with the task at hand
- Set a deadline and get it done.
- Use a Timer
- Start off with short time frames and minimize distractions to stay focused.
- Calendar Blocking
- Account for breaks, time off, and work, so you do not overload your schedule.
- Control Your Time
- Choose how much time you spend on a given task and orient tasks around yourself and your day.
How to Master Timeboxing
- Calendar Blocking: Balance fewer high-focus blocks with several low-focus blocks.
- Add To-Dos to Calendar Blocking: Combine recurring to-dos with individual to-dos.
- Determine How Much Time a Task Requires: Try to lower the time for each task to gradually work faster and increase productivity.
- Always Set a Timer: A visible time crunch encourages productivity.
- No Interruptions: Eliminate phone use, email notifications, and other distractions.
- Use the Pomodoro Technique: Work for twenty-five minutes and break for five minutes.
- Get an Accountability Buddy: Ensure you follow through on your good intentions.