7 Rules for Making Memorable Connections
- Convey genuine appreciation
- People love feeling liked and that you are genuinely interested in them.
- Listen with intent
- Demonstrate that the other person is being heard through follow up questions and encourage them to continue talking.
- Use humility markers
- Be humble and acknowledge your human imperfection.
- Offer unvarnished honesty
- Separate yourself through honesty and focusing on situations that will have utility for other parties.
- Blue-sky Brainstorm
- Help others brainstorm even if you can't provide what they are looking for.
- End every meeting or conversation with optimism
- Will help create a better conversation if you meet again.
- Don't fake it till you make it
- This creates unwanted situations with negative consequences.
- Diligent preparation for interactions with individuals is key.
Do’s and Don'ts of building long lasting relationships
- Constantly reach out to your “dream contact list”.
- Be cognizant of people's time and make any request easy for them.
- Follow up after a meeting and follow through with anything you say you will do.
- Create a system to stay in touch with your contacts.
- Due diligence on people you are meeting with.
- Do everything you can to prepare for a meeting so that regardless of the result you know you did everything you could.
- Ambush people.
- Reach out only when you need something.
- Keep track of your response rate.