Attracting investment is a milestone for any startup – it’s a vote of confidence from a respected outside expert in your space and a signal that your company is positioned for the future.
How to get it right:
Drafting the Announcement
Mention investors, give a background on the company and quote from the founder or CEO
- The goal of your announcement is to generate news coverage.
- Your media list should include reporters with whom you have a relationship.
- Give reporters ample time to write the story.
- This can be easily achieved by sharing news in advance under “embargo.”
Amplifying the news
- You can also amplify your news through social media and other “owned” channels.
- Sharing links via Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn drive awareness of the news.
- Having PR professionals at your service is helpful.
- For many early stage companies, committing to an agency on retainer is too much too soon.
- You might consider working with a consultant or agency on a “project basis.”