To hire the best, don't just hire locally, hire globally.
If a global community will use your software, the world should be helping to build that software.
Making remote work is important.
Judge employee’s work based on output
- When someone you hired sees a flaw, they should take the initiative to make it right on their own.
During the hiring process, give them an audition project
- If you can't find a mini audition project for a strong candidate, you’re not structuring work properly
- Implement a Real Time Chat (E.G. Slack)
- At least once a week at an absolute minimum; meetings to understand the human being behind all those check-ins.
- Our “solution” to this problem was to avoid hiring people that need extensive mentoring.
- Monday Team Status Reports