Systems create an environment where people can do their best work. While early hires set the implicit norms, early systems set the explicit norms. What are examples of good systems?
- Aka. Goal setting or OKRs.
- Has 3 "speeds" (annual, quarterly, and weekly) built on 2 components (sources of truth and rituals).
- Annual planning:
- Sources of truth: company scorecards.
- Ritual: annual planning summits.
- Quarterly planning:
- Sources of truth: scorecards+WAR Tables
- Ritual: quarterly business reviews
- Weekly planning:
- Source of truth: corporate reporting pack
- Ritual: Exec. team weekly meeting
- Focusing too much "sources of truth" and not "rituals" leads to a confusion of company priorities.
Writing and Decision Documentation
- A way to document decisions and get buy-in before moving into implementation.
- 2 core documents are the product requirement document (PRD) and the request for comment (RFC)
- PRD - defining the problem
- Provide context.
- Simplify the user research into clear problem statements.
- Make a list of requirements that the engineering RFC should satisfy.
- RFC - scoping the solution
- Provide background so readers can get the full context of why a change is necessary.
- Write a proposal for different aspects of implementation.