Most people learn product by apprenticeship, and so there are myths about what a PM role actually is.
- PMs are mini CEOs
- PMs lead a team, but they don't have CEO responsibility
- PMs are decision makers
- PMs facilitate decision making and coordinate ideas but they don't make calls.
- PMs are idea generators
- Brainstorming is a team exercise. PMs are judged on the output of the team.
- PMs play company politics
- PMs unite their team around a shared mission
- PMs need technical degrees
- It can help, but all they need is curiosity and the ability to work with engineers
Great PMs focus on customer and business impact, and amplify their teams.