Excellent Product Managers are identified based on three criteria of qualities:
Must Have, Good to Have, and Bonus. The Must Have category includes communication, leadership, effective within the company culture, outstanding intellectual ability.
Playbook to Find, Interview, and Hire Excellent PMs:
- Finding candidates
- Finding a team of PMs with diverse experiences and backgrounds allows for competitive advantage against homogenous hiring processes.
- Look for a diverse group of PMs (candidates with Computer Science degrees, or with consulting or finance, Engineering, or marketing experience)
- Ideal Interview Process
- One-on-one phone screenings
- Superficial answers should give pause, genuine demonstrated interest about the space should intrigue.
- Panel Presentations
Invite candidates to give presentations to a team of 8-10, evaluating how they handle engaging group dynamics, how they articulate and synthesize their ideas
- Targeting the rewards centers of the PM brain can help close a candidate that you love.
- Most PMs crave having impact, sense of purpose/mission, growth, and autonomy.
- Describe and communicate how they will get the rewards.