The transport sector has never looked hotter for aspiring entrepreneurs. Smart entrepreneurs without expertise in auto tech should consider adjacent businesses & societal changes that will occur with mainstream software-powered cars.
6 Odd "Auto-powered" Startups
- Drive through windows: automobiles transformed retail
- NASCAR: auto racing is a $13 billion business
- Walmart: long-haul trucking makes retail possible in hard-to-reach regions
- Holiday Inn: the interstate highway system created demand for uniform hotels
- Levittown: suburbs were possible due to car ownership
- Home Depot: with suburban homes came the rise of big box stores
Expect Second Order Effects
None of these businesses sell automobiles or related services. They are reactions to a world where cars are common. A similar reinvention will happen with emerging technologies.