The trick to sharing bad news with leaders is imagining being on the other side of the table.
Consider: what would you want to know if you were in charge?
5 Tips for Managing Communication About a Failed Project
- Get ahead of it
- Make sure external stakeholders hear the bad news from you first.
- Highlight the good
- Build confidence in yourself and your team that you are learning & will avoid the same mistakes.
- Share the context
- Remind leaders of the project’s background, hypothesis, & feedback.
- Have a crystal clear POV on what to do next
- Provide a recommendation with how to proceed.
- You & your projects are not the same thing
- Create separation between you & your projects.