Max Martin is the third-most successful songwriter in US chart history, but most have never heard of him. Now, 30 of his songs are getting a second life from the new jukebox musical & Juliet.
Martin's Songwriting Style
- Martin favors simplicity, repetition and instant familiarity over unnecessary complexity.
- He balks at the idea that his songwriting is governed by strict rules.
- Martin’s early hit rate largely depended on Britney Spears.
- A lot of Martin’s biggest hits have been with female artists: not just Spears, Swift and Perry but also British stars.
- Making records, he says, is “about staying inspired, but also sticking to your guns of what you love doing.”
- The jukebox musical is a feminist retelling of a Shakespeare play, soundtracked by Spears and other pop hits.