To boost performance, companies need to increase pace and intensity.
Slootman’s Experience with Data Domain and ServiceNow
- Data Domain and ServiceNow had rapid growth because they had a strong performance-focused culture.
- Managers at both companies gave extra bonuses to high-achieving performers and tried to weed out the underperforming ones.
- This created a culture of pushing employees to be drivers of change and success, instead of being deadweight passengers to the company.
- Move fast
- Leaders need to have a narrow focus and know how to create a sense of urgency, so employees can think more effectively on their feet.
- Keep high standards
- Move fast and focus on exceptional quality.
- Focus hard
- Leaders should know how and what to prioritize in focusing on clear goals.
- Employers are doing poorly because they are coddling employees.
- Keeping a strong culture attracts similarly minded and performance-oriented firms.
- Thus, it is important to maintain a meritocracy.
- This ultimately paves way for incredible growth.