COVID has altered the way many employees work. Are changes to the workplace here to stay? What are the consequences of these changes?
The Fully Remote Workplace
- Fully remote is not here to stay but will most likely lead to a hybrid model:
- The talent pool is eventually going to be offshored (virtual).
- The traditional office will become less of a work-hub and more of a “water-cooler.”
Consequences of the Hybrid Model
- New management styles
- Managers need to be honest with their teams and talk about their stresses due to the loss of in-person interaction.
- Companies can now hire the best talent worldwide because there is no requirement for worker relocation.
- New forms of organizational design
- Companies will need more efficient/accessible methods of information-sharing (i.e. Notion and Slack).
- The reinvention of towns and cities
- Lack of home-to-work commute leads to increased demand for micro-mobility (i.e. bikes), requiring urban planners to build infrastructure to use micro-mobility safely (i.e. bike lanes).