It took years for Facebook to define its company identity as "Hackers." How can startups accelerate this process?
Identify Your Personality, Strengths, and Weaknesses
- Companies tend to reflect their founder's personality, strengths, and weaknesses.
- As a founder, you need to consider:
- Your strengths
- What sets you apart from others
- What you value in others
- The attributes of your friends
- How you make your decisions
- What you're bad at
- Your answers describe your company's personality.
Turn Your Adjectives Into a Story
- E.g., Amazon develops a press release before they build a prototype for their products so they can think through what they want the world to say about them when they launch the product.
- What you stand for?
- What do you want people to say about you?
- Do not just rehash what other companies have written.
- E.g., "We hire fast learners and team players."
Turn Your Story Into a Conversation
- Talk about the culture you want to build all the time.
- People will immediately start repeating it.
- Allow the culture to evolve.
- Start the conversation early so you can prepare your company for cultural changes.