Relentlessly Measure Impact
- Make sure the time and effort required to achieve your goals are worth it.
- Requires seeing a big enough impact on customer expansion to justify the cost for additional headcount.
Have a Bias Toward "Yes"
- Comedians make "yes, and" statements to help them take a concept and build on it in creative ways.
- Similarly, starting a new sales team requires taking a hypothesis and constantly evolving it.
- Change your hypothesis as info. emerges.
- Lean toward "yes, and" statements.
Hire for Ownership
Hire relationship managers who think and operate like business owners.
Channel Your Inner MacGyver
You'll need to be extremely resourceful when starting a new sales team because they usually operate without the same level of cross-functional support that established teams enjoy.
Find Your Village and Cultivate It
Seek out and invest in fostering a positive relationship with your teammates because you will need their help in the future.