How to train more empathetic leaders, great listeners, and create a safe environment where employees develop
Build an Employee Experience that Matches the Company
- Help your employees identify with the company through a people team that creates a healthy workplace that fosters talent.
- Design your onboarding process in such a way that it allows new employees to walk in the customers' shoes.
Build your Management around Empathy
- Allow your employees to be genuinely themselves – make them feel seen and heard.
- During the interview process, create a natural conversation rather than a typical interview.
- Assess whether your employees can be self-reflective about their struggles.
- Inspire curiosity in employees, and teach them to listen before coming up with an action plan.
- Apply empathy and care to the firing process as well – let them be in power and decide when the conversation is had.
Create an Environment where People can Grow
- Handle interpersonal conflicts through skip-level meetings; give your employees a chance to have control over the conversation.
- Cultivate an open culture by talking with them about their careers and plans openly.
- Make decency the pivotal part of the development programs.